Monday, January 12, 2009

Book Meme

This is a book meme that I borrowed from the Common Room Blog.

I'm putting a caveat here- if you do this, too, you can't use The Bible in any of your answers.

1. One book that changed your life:
Children of a Greater God by Terry Glaspey. I think this is the book about books that got my interested in more.

2. One book that you've read more than once:
For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer MacCaulay. Excellent introduction to the Charlotte Mason method of education. I have re-read this book many times and although I am firmly committed to CM now I will probably re-read again because I find it inspiring.


3. One book you'd want on a deserted island:
This is a difficult one as I can't imagine landing on a deserted island with only one book in hand. I barely drive as far as WalMart with only one book in my possession. So, if I were packing a book bag for a deserted island tonight here are a few of the books I'd include: Jane Eyre; Margin; Before I Go; How the Heather Looks; The Great Divorce. I listed these because I do plan to read these in the coming months- how long is the average deserted island stay?

4. One book that made you laugh:
girl meets God by Lauren Winner. The book is light in tone but deep in many ways. There were a couple of things she says that just made me laugh out loud. I really enjoyed this one.

5. One book that made you cry:
Dicey's Song or it may have been Homecoming both by Cynthia Voigt and both about the same family. I remember just laying my head down on the kitchen table and sobbing. Not just some nice sniffles and moist eyes but sobbing. They are not sad books, just had a heartbreaking spot and you get so invested in their life. Highly recommended.


6. One book that you wish had been written:
A few years back I was wishing Laura Bush would write a book about her recommendations in children's/ young adult literature.


7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Some books I read back in the 70's. Can't remember the titles or the authors(thankfully) but unfortunately some of the images and ideas remain in my brain.

8. One book that you are currently reading:
Epicenter by Joel Rosenberg. For a bookclub. A very timely read.


9. One book that you've been meaning to read:
There are so many, but I'll choose The Stargazing Year by Charles Laird Calia. I've owned this book for a couple of years now, I think this should be the year to read it. It's one of those month by month books. I like to read like that sometimes.


10. One book you've been meaning to finish:
The Underground History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto. Not sure why I haven't ever finished this book, it's thought provoking and interesting, sometimes surprising definitely not dull, but I think I am often put off by it's size. It's not a huge book, it's just an oversize book that I prefer to read at a table. Only I don't often sit at a table to read, being more of an armchair or standing in the kitchen cooking supper type reader. It's on my list to finish soon.



1. One book on your desk right now?
Peace Like A River by Leif Enger


2. One book with a bookmark in it that you haven't picked up for a few days?
Madeleine L'Engle's Walking on Water. It's a re-read, but I just started it a week or so ago and have gotten distracted with other things.


3. One book marked with a pencil (or other irregular marker) stuffed between the pages instead of a proper bookmark?
Well, I looked around the house and didn't find any irregularly marked book. That is probably because I am somewhat of a legalist on that topic- ask my kids. The most irregular boomark I found was an old church bulletin in a book borrowed from my sister. The Tale of Hill Top Farm by Susan Wittig Albert.


4. One book with the cover falling off, or other grievous injuries?
Patches of Godlight by Jan Karon. It is not in grievous condition from being abused or even over read but because it came with a bad binding and pages began falling out of it almost right away. I keep the pages in by keeping it in a bookcover.



5. One book you "ought" to be reading, but don't feel like it?
The Unfinished Soul by Calvin Miller. I'm just not loving it. Perhaps I will later.



6. One book sitting on the shelf and enticing you to read it instead of anything else?
The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard. A re-read that I am anxious to get to.



7. Your most recently acquired book?
Doodle-Stitching by Aimee Ray. It's a book on embroidery Has some fun ideas.



8. One book on your "wish list?"
God in the Dock by C.S. Lewis. On my wishlist because I thought I had it, and I think I have read it but now I'm not sure. Maybe I borrowed it from one of my boys and I need my own copy now.

9. One book you literally threw in the trash?
Jane Austen Book Club. Promising story line but too much trash.

No comments: