Friday, January 23, 2009

Anoint my ears with wisdom

Prayer
Shout my name to the angels
Sing my song to the skies
Anoint my ears with wisdom
Let beauty fill my eyes.



I love that prayer/poem. Today my mind is a bit scattered. No, that is not true, it is not scattered at all, it is stuck -on one thing...I'm praying to get past that one thing and maybe this prayer can help.

I first encountered Walter Dean Myers in a children's book by Sharon Creech Love That Dog. It's the story, presented in short journal entries(so fun to read!), of a boy who is learning to write, and write poetry in particular. He starts out convinced that writing poetry is for girls and he can't do it. It is so charming. At the end he writes a poem, called Love That Dog, inspired by Walter Dean Myers, Love That Boy:

Love that boy,
like a rabbit loves to run
I said I love that boy
like a rabbit loves to run
Love to call him in the morning
love to call him
"Hey, there, son!"

He walk like his grandpa
grins like his uncle Ben
I said he walk like his grandpa
and grins like his uncle Ben
Grins when he happy
when he sad he grins again

His mama like to hold him
like to feed him cherry pie
I said his mama like to hold him
feed him that cherry pie
She can have him now
I'll get him by and by

He got long roads to walk down,
before the setting sun
I said he got a long, long road
to walk down,
before the setting sun
He'll be a long stride walker
and a good man before he done




















No comments: